Zachry is currently accepting applications for a RAILROAD TECHNICAL TAMPER OPERATOR
Assists in construction, maintenance and repairs of railroad tracks and relative components and / or structures. Operates equipment (tamper, dozers, backhoes, ballast regulator etc.) as required in order to accomplish work safely, efficiently and while meeting the quality standards/expectations
- Perform all aspects of job safely.
- Loads materials at beginning of shift as needed.
- Loads/un-loads equipment as required for safe transportation to/from work site.
- Distribute materials and/or equipment at project site.
- Operates, Maintains and troubleshoots tamper in order to meet railroad specifications in raising, leveling and aligning railroad track. Requires significant ability to operate tamper in order to perform work with precision. Must operate a Tamper-Liner; Model MKTV and a Kershaw Ballast Regulator.
- Regulates ballast for surfacing operations.
- Operates dozers, back-hoes and other heavy equipment in safe and efficient manner. Performs work so as to meet job specifications and quality standards.
- Assists in assembly and disassembly of track and related components as directed for each job.
- Drives machines onto truck trailers and drives truck to transport to/from job sites.
- Maintains a clean and organized work area.
- Assists in maintaining cleanliness of vehicles.
- Accurately requisition materials and equipment trucks/track vans as directed.
- Sorts scrap materials and ensures that they are placed in designated locations.
- Perform any and all duties which ensure the safe, smooth and efficient functioning of the department.
- Uses tools proficiently and safely in order to accomplish assigned work. Ensures that tools are well maintained reporting any problems to supervisor/team leader.
- Remain flexible and ready to perform work for other departments/divisions as may be required to meet business needs and customer expectations.
Required Skills And Experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in operating heavy equipment in a railroad construction and maintenance environment. Minimum of 3 years on a Tamper-Liner; Model MKTV and a Kershaw Ballast Regulator.
- Experienced in use of hand-tools, power tools and hydraulic equipment.
- Willingness to learn and be trained in the operation of specific equipment.
- Capable of understanding and following directions.
- Display strong adherence to safety policies and procedures.
- Able to read, write and speak English
- Must pass qualification tests as required.
- Constant bending / twisting / stooping / walking / talking / sitting / standing / kneeling / climbing / bending / carrying materials/parts
- May work in a variety weather conditions.
- Working extended hours.
- Regular lifting of up to 50 pounds; loads in excess of 50 pounds and which can be reduced, should be made lighter.
- Employee must obtain assistance when lifting items weighing more than 75 pounds, or items which present ergonomic challenges in lifting/movement/placement.
- Must work all required overtime
Required Certifications And Licenses
- E-Rail Safe
- Ability to obtain CSX On Track Safety Certification