LUBBOCK, TX 79416 - US
Zachry Group is seeking a Journeyman Relay Technician to ensure secure operation of the interconnected electrical power system by installing, commissioning, troubleshooting, repairing, testing, and maintaining power system monitoring equipment, SCADA RTUs, remedial action schemes (RAS), protective relay, control, and communication systems.
• Providing both routine and emergency testing
• Performing maintenance and repair on power system protective relaying, monitoring, and communications equipment
• Ensuring that all transmission system operations are analyzed for cause and proper operation, and Implementing corrective actions as required in coordination with System Protection Engineering interpreting and analyzing power, control, and communication system test data
• Calibrating power system monitoring equipment, transducers, and protective relays
• Reading and properly interpreting substation drawings (e.g., single line drawings, AC and DC schematics, panel wiring diagrams, and panel layout drawings)
• Working as a member of project teams to assist with scoping, detailed design review, shop panel testing, project construction, and commissioning
• Responds to power system emergencies, and being available to stand after hour’s system support-on-call. Comply with all company safety rules and procedures
• Be responsible for tools test equipment and vehicles
• Familiar with the operation of the Manta 5000 or Megger MPRT relay test sets.
• Familiar with Enoserve Relay Testing Software
Employee will be required to communicate in person, via telephone, email, use of arm/hand steadiness, manual dexterity, finger dexterity, multi limb coordination, oral expression, and comprehension. Position assignment will be based on construction sites and industrial facilities requiring mobility (on ground and at heights) and the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to: hard hat, safety glasses/goggles, ear plugs/muffs, masks/respirators, safety vests, gloves and work boots. May be required to lift, carry and move objects safely.
Employee will work in multiple environments including an office, warehouse and in a trailer or building on construction sites. On construction sites noise levels will be moderate to high. Job site will contain: light to heavy equipment vehicles, small to large equipment, materials, communication equipment and tools, people standing, walking, sitting, signaling and talking, bells whistles and alarms. Weather conditions ranging from warm/hot – cool/cold and occasional rain. May be required to work in close, confined spaces or in different elevations for a long period of time. Noise levels will be moderate to high.
The above description covers the fundamental responsibilities of the Relay Technician position. It shall not be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental or similar duties which may be required from day-to-day.
• A close-knit, employee oriented environment that embraces high performance teaming internally and via partnering with our customers to produce industry leading results.
• A safety-first work environment that invests heavily in our employees technical as well as leadership skill sets. .
• Strong benefits package
• Lucrative compensation with generous overtime hours and per Diem allotment
• Company issued truck, test equipment, computer and cell phone.
• Relocation package available
Zachry Group is dedicated in providing a Safe and Drug Free work environment; and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
• 2 years of experience in electrical relays and controls in power substation or generating plants
• Experience in diagnostic testing and analysis of test results on protection and control equipment in power substations
• Experience reading electrical one-lines, AC and DC schematics and wiring diagrams
• Experience with various protective relay schemes
• Good analytical and problem solving skills
• Ability and willingness to work out of tow
• Ability to adapt to changing technology
• Develop advanced skills and the ability to work independently