PROJECT ENGINEERS II (PROCESS)
Diversified Engineering and Design Centers
Zachry Group is seeking a Project Engineer (Process) who will work in the assigned design centers or client location in and around the Joliet, IL region. The successful incumbent will perform routine engineering and design tasks of the process area of assigned projects based on specific and detailed instructions as to the required tasks and results expected, instructions on specific assignment objectives, complex features, and possible solutions. Process Engineers will independently evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria, using judgment in making minor adaptations and modifications.
Our Engineering and Procurement offers early project development planning, engineering studies, complete engineering and project commissioning, our full-service engineering offices are strategically located to ensure quick and responsive solutions. Our expertise in construction, plant maintenance and turnarounds gives us a uniquely balanced perspective on planning and design.
- Responsible for monitoring and inspecting equipment, computer terminals, switches, valves, gauges, alarms, safety devices, and meters to detect leaks or malfunctions and to ensure that equipment is operating efficiently and safely.
- Analyze problems and take appropriate action to ensure continuous and reliable operation of equipment and systems.
- Observe and interpret readings on gauges, meters, and charts registering various aspects of boiler operation to ensure that boilers are operating properly.
- Operate or tend stationary engines, boilers, and auxiliary equipment such as pumps, compressors, and air-conditioning equipment, to supply and maintain steam or heat for buildings, marine vessels, or pneumatic tools.
- Adjust controls and/or valves on equipment to provide power, and to regulate and set operations of system or industrial processes.
- Switch from automatic to manual controls and isolate equipment mechanically and electrically to allow for safe inspection and repair work.
- Maintain daily logs of operation, maintenance, and safety activities, including test results, instrument readings, and details of equipment malfunctions and maintenance work.
- Troubleshoot problems with manufacturing processes by performing tests and monitoring performance of processes throughout production.
- Evaluate equipment and processes to ensure compliance with safety and environmental regulations.
- Estimate production costs for management.
- Present technical information to peers or other personnel for review, to implement operating procedures, and resolve system malfunctions.
- Independently evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria using judgment in making minor adaptations and modifications.
- Provide specific to discipline technical expertise to the degree of preparing and providing training for other personnel; both within the company and for the customer.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering or other related field
- 2-4 years of experience working as an engineer in the Industrial Construction/Services Industry
- Experience applying standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria to ensure compliance with safety and environmental regulations
- Good Communication Skills (Active Listening, Verbal, and Written)
- Complex Problem Solving (STEM)
- Critical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Sensitivity
- Information Ordering
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Proficient with Process Engineering Computer Software
- Strong desire to learn
- Former Zachry Employee / Intern
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical/Chemical Engineering or other related field
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- Process Engineering experience in the Industry
Employee will be required to communicate in person, via telephone, email, video chat and software systems. Position may include visits to construction sites and industrial facilities requiring mobility (on ground and at heights) and the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to: hardhat, safety glasses/goggles, ear plugs/muffs, masks/respirators, safety vests, gloves and work boots.
Employee will work in multiple environments including an office, warehouse and in a trailer or building on construction sites. On construction sites, noise levels will be moderate to high. Job sites may contain the following: light to heavy equipment vehicles, small to large equipment, materials, communication equipment and tools, people standing, walking, sitting, signaling, and talking. Noise levels vary and may include bells, whistles, and alarms.
The above description covers the fundamental responsibilities of the Project Engineer positions. It shall not be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental or similar duties which may be required from day-to-day.
Zachry Group is dedicated to providing a Safe and Drug Free work environment; and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.