LEAD MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER
Engineering Design Center
San Antonio, TX
Zachry Group is currently accepting applications for Lead Mechanical Design Engineer for our corporate headquarters location in San Antonio, TX.
The Lead Mechanical Design Engineer will be responsible in the design office for routine engineering and design tasks of the mechanical area of assigned projects based on specific and detailed instructions received from the assigned supervisor as to the required tasks and results expected.
- Responsible in the design office for engineering and design tasks of the mechanical area of assigned projects.
- Applies sound and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and related fields.
- Makes decisions independently on engineering problems and methods.
- Requires the use of advanced techniques and the modification and extensions of theories, precepts, and practices of the field.
- Is assigned specific projects to complete, working as a fully competent engineer in all conventional aspects of the subject matter or the functional area of the assignment. Independently performs the assignment with instructions as to the general results expected. Employee is responsible for following project responsibilities as defined for the assigned project position.
- May supervise, coordinate, and review work of a small staff of engineers or technicians on assigned work.
- As a Licensed Professional Engineer, seals and signs all documentation produced by own work. May also seal and sign work done by engineers under direct supervision.
- Performs studies, preparation of specifications, evaluation of proposals, and development of estimates. Provides recommendations for purchase of mechanical systems components.
- Direct drafting personnel in the proper execution of drawings for mechanical systems to which assigned. Examines mechanical drawings for completeness, detail, and accuracy as peer reviewer. Checks manufactures' prints and coordinates between these and ZEC drawings.
- Maintains a thorough, current knowledge of new and innovative techniques in the mechanical engineering field.
- Serves as a representative of ZEC when responsible for check out, start up, and tests of new or retrofitted mechanical systems and provide for supervision of certain field engineering staff.
- Practical knowledge of routine and precedent design and working knowledge of basic engineering principles for application in solving problems. Perform studies, preparation of specifications, evaluation of proposals, and development of estimates. May recommend for purchase mechanical system components. Knowledge of engineering methods and practices in specific areas of responsibility to the degree of preparing and providing training for other personnel, both within the company and for the customer.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor Degree in a mechanical, industrial, chemical or petroleum engineering discipline from an accredited engineering program
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE)
- 10 years related experience in power generation industry
- Complex Problem Solving skills (STEM)
- Advanced problem-solving and analytical skills
- Values ethics, professionalism, and maintains confidentiality
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Comfortable working in a collaborative, transparent, teamwork-based culture
- Proficient with Engineering and Computer Software (HySys, ASPEN, MS Office, AutoCAD, 2D &/or 3D CAD, BlueBeam, Revit, NavisWorks, etc…)
- Ability to independently organize and prioritize work assignments and coordinate a variety of tasks, with good attention to detail and ability to deal with conflicting priorities and deadlines
- Understanding, acceptance and adherence of company policies and procedures, including all business objectives and goals
- Willingness to travel and work in office and field environments
Employee will be required to communicate in person, via telephone, email, use of arm/hand steadiness, manual dexterity, finger dexterity, multi limb coordination, oral expression, and comprehension. May be required to lift, carry and move objects safely.
Employee will work in multiple environments including an office, warehouse and in a trailer or building on construction sites. On construction sites, noise levels will be moderate to high. Job sites may contain the following: light to heavy equipment vehicles, small to large equipment, materials, communication equipment and tools, people standing, walking, sitting, signaling, and talking. Noise levels vary and may include bells, whistles, and alarms.
The above description covers the fundamental responsibilities of the Lead Mechanical Design Engineer position. It shall not be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental or similar duties which may be required from day-to-day.
Zachry Group is dedicated in providing a Safe and Drug Free work environment; and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.