Corporate Office – Estimating Department
San Antonio, TX
Zachry Group is seeking an Estimating Manager to prepare or supervise the preparation of cost estimates and bid proposals for large construction projects and provides technical advice and assistance to other estimators. In addition, monitors construction information sources and reports on potential projects to bid on to Chief Estimator.
- Provides technical assistance and advice to estimators regarding their bid proposals and reviews estimates prepared by other estimators
- Reviews and analyzes historical cost reports and other data to obtain information relevant to the bidding process
- Supervises the preparation of cost estimates and bid proposals for assigned projects, including personnel assigned to the project, and designs estimate summaries for assigned projects
- Supervises a complete review, evaluation and quantification of work scope, including the terms and conditions of bid documents; may conduct site visits to analyze soil conditions and soil testing; and communicates and coordinates the exchange of data with client/owner and engineer to gain a clear definition and understanding of the project scope
- Calculates total resources required for projects, including direct and indirect costs. Applies appropriate cost values for required resources such as wage rates, equipment rates, productivity, historical experience, waste, valid quotations, time schedule, resources availability and market conditions. In addition, prepares a preliminary project schedule and recommends escalation, contingency allowance, and field profit
- Obtains and evaluates quotes from vendors and subcontractors and makes recommendations on the selection of vendors and subcontractors. Also, provides assistance to purchasing in preparing purchase orders and subcontract agreements
- Submits estimates to management for formal bid review, supervises bid adjustments according to management instruction, and oversees the completion and delivery of the proposal document
- Supervises the preparation of detailed cost breakdown using standard work codes when possible, and assists in preparing detailed work schedules upon request
- Instructs, trains and develops less experienced estimators and performs other related duties as required
- Perform others duties as assigned
- High School Diploma / GED with up to 10 years of construction experience or Bachelors degree with up to 5 years of construction experience.
- 5-10 years of knowledge and experience with all aspects of estimating software, procedures, and processes
- Good work ethic and excellent organizational skills
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office, with an emphasis on Word, Excel and Power Point
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work with minimal supervision on most projects or tasks
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to present complex information in an understandable and compelling manner
- Occasional travel to regional offices or field locations may be required
- Experience in the field of estimating and/or estimating systems management
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Business Administration, or equivalent related work experience
- 7+ years of construction estimating support, engineering, field support, or similar experience
- 5+ years quantity take-off and estimating experience
Employee will be required to communicate in person, via telephone, email, use of arm/hand steadiness, manual dexterity, finger dexterity, multi limb coordination, oral expression, and comprehension. May be required to lift, carry and move objects safely. While traveling, employee will work in multiple environments including an office, warehouse and in a trailer or building on construction sites. On construction sites noise levels will be moderate to high. Job site will contain: light to heavy equipment vehicles, small to large equipment, materials, communication equipment and tools, people standing, walking, sitting, signaling and talking, bells whistles and alarms. Weather conditions ranging from warm/hot – cool/cold and occasional rain. May be required to work in close, confined spaces or in different elevations for a long period of time. Noise levels will be moderate to high.
Will work in a general office environment. Capable of operating and functioning in a fast-paced work environment. Must possess a vision (corrected or uncorrected) that allows for clear visibility from a distance of 20 inches or less.
The above description covers the fundamental responsibilities of the Estimating Manager position. It shall not be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental or similar duties which may be required from day-to-day.
Zachry Group is dedicated to providing a Safe and Drug Free work environment; and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.