Zachry Group has an exciting new opportunity for an Electrical Designer to work in our Omaha Engineering Center.
Under direction/guidance from project managers, project engineers, architectural, or technical services staff, assist in the planning, design and development of electrical construction drawings for various projects. Research to obtain detailed project and design criteria. Provide field support including field verification for retrofit applications, as-built documentation. Provide complete electrical designs for substations, various industrial plants, and power stations.
- Prepare engineering drawings and schematic of varies electrical systems and components.
- Utilize sketching and CAD Programs (AutoCAD and Microstation)
- Must have 6+ years’ experience working as a drafter or designer for electrical design.
- Working knowledge of lighting and power design, cable tray, and duct bank layouts and grounding design.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare sketches of ideas, detailed drawings, illustrations, or blueprints, using drafting instruments, or computer-aided design equipment.
- Discuss findings with engineering, marketing, production, or sales departments, or with customers, to establish and evaluate design concepts for manufactured products.
- Modify and refine designs, using working models, to conform to customer specifications, production limitations, or changes in design trends.
- Direct and coordinate the fabrication of models or samples and the drafting of working drawings and specification sheets from sketches.
- Evaluate feasibility of design ideas, based on factors such as appearance, safety, function, serviceability, budget, production costs/methods, and market characteristics.
- Present designs and reports to customers or design committees for approval, and discuss need for modification.
- Investigate product characteristics such as the product's safety and handling qualities, its market appeal, how efficiently it can be produced, and ways of distributing, using and maintaining it.
- Develop manufacturing procedures and monitor the manufacture of their designs in a factory to improve operations and product quality.
- Research production specifications, costs, production materials and manufacturing methods, and provide cost estimates and itemized production requirements.
- Participate in new product planning or market research, including studying the potential need for new products.
- Develop a complete set of electrical construction drawings utilizing 2-D and 3-D CADD skills with the ability to work in and reference 3D models.
- Must be able to accurately draw complex electrical drawings from sketches or specifications using appropriate terms, procedures and drafting standards
- Exercise independent judgment by utilizing the correct design criteria based on knowledge from vendor data and project scope.
- Check drawings for accuracy including dimensions, spelling, drafting standards and completeness.
- Review manufacturer’s drawings and other discipline drawings and any existing plan drawings for physical interferences.
- Communicate with the project engineer and other disciplines to resolve any design problems with the manufacturer’s drawings or interferences.
- Advise, assist, and occasionally directs drafting personnel of a lesser grade in performance of their assigned duties.
- Assure the company quality assurance procedures are followed in completion of assigned tasks.
- Must be proficient in operating a PC based computer and general office software.
- Must have experience using sketching and CAD software.
- Must have 6+ years’ experience working as a drafter or designer for electrical design and Systems Analysis
- Complex Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- Good Communication Skills (Active Listening, Verbal and Written)
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Attention to Detail
- Strong desire to learn
- Vocational or Trade School Education
- Related on-the-job experience
- Associate's degree.
Zachry is dedicated to providing a SAFE and Drug Free work environment; and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.